Monday, December 13, 2004

Making the Transition from Film to Digital



A good white paper written by Michael Reichmann is available on the Adobe Web site, for all you film holdouts...a good overview of the technical diferences between film and digital capture.

Read it!

There are a few minor things I noticed but they are so minor as to be not worth mentioning...the only major gripe I have is on the last page. The statement about not being able to capture black and white images with a digital camera--instead having to shoot in color, then convert to black and white later in Photoshop or a similar program--isn't true. Many digital cameras today let you capture images directly in black and white. In fact, 95 percent of my images are captured natively in black and white, and since I use a digicam I have the added benefit of composing the image through my viewfinder in black and white before even making the exposure. You can't do that with a digital SLR!

[ photograph above: Redlands, 2004 ]