Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The Value of Tradition



A couple years ago I read a great interview with photographer Kim Weston. It was about working in an "old" style/tradition in photography, and the interviewer was basically questioning the validity of working on an old tradition in a "modern" time. I've seen this question up before (and since), and sometimes it's even tied to questioning the validity of the medium of photography in general because "everything that could be done has been done". In the interview, Kim's response was so awesome, I wish I could find it again and quote it directly--but instead I'm forced to paraphrase from memory (which can be a dangerous thing). But his response had to do with not "copying" the style of another, more successful artist, but "paying homage" to that style by working in that style (even though it may be "old" and out of favor with the trendy art crowd), and adapting that old style in new and unique ways. That had a big impression on me, because I'm not trying to be Edward Weston or Minor White--I love their work, and it has obviously influenced me heavily. But it's different. The differences are because I'm trying to express myself, take it in different directions. The similarities are not because I'm copying them, but because I'm paying homage to their vision, their style, the foundation they laid for people like me to follow.

[ photograph above: Mesquite Flat Dunes, Death Valley National Park, 2003 ]