Sunday, April 10, 2005

Plans for the Tales from the Underground Show, Jan./Feb. 2006



There are three galleries in the basement of the cool old building at 300 S. Thomas Street in Pomona: Gallery 57 Underground, an artist co-op gallery of which I am currently a member; PVAA Gallery SOHO, where I occassionally have some work showing; and the PVAA Progress Space, where I particiapted in the Visions and Perspectives show in December 2004. So I spend a lot of time in the basement of this old building which is rich in character.

My first solo show at Gallery 57 Underground, which is scheduled for Jan./Feb. 2006, will exhibit what I think is a unique concept: it's a series of black-and-white and color abstract photographs, taken entirely in the basement of this building (in the three galleries as well as the hallway and stairs). Most of the images are of the cracked and stained concrete floors, although a few are of more recognizable features in the building such as pipes. I plan on displaying approximately 30 images, and in some cases a photograph will be displayed only a few feet from the stain on the floor which was the original subject--again, a somewhat unique concept.

The two receptions for this show, which I am calling "Tales from the Underground", will be held on the second Saturdays of the months of January and February, from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. I'll post more information about this show as it develops.

[ photograph above: Pomona, 2005 ]