Monday, September 20, 2004

Yosemite



Lately, I've been thinking about going to Yosemite again. I've not been to Yosemite National Park since 1993 (Tuolomne Meadows)--and have not been to the Valley since all the way back in 1988.

I remember reading somewhere that the great contemporary fine art photographer Ryuijie went to Yosemite only once, and was very frustrated by the experience because everything there had already been shot.

The last time I went to the Valley, not only were the crowds overwhelming, but the people running the concession there (Curry Company at that time; since then replaced by another operator I think???) were the most rude, arrogant, obnoxious service staff I had ever encountered! It was as if Yosemite was their own personal playground, since they got to live and work in the Valley, and we were tourists tramping through thier backyard. One can only hope the crowds and the horrible attitides are gone.

Should I go back and give it another chance? Of course. It's just a matter of scheduling the trip up there. It would be a wonderful creative challenge, to visit one of the most photographed places on earth and try to squeeze out a few truly unique photographs.

[ photograph above: Yosemite, 1988 ]