Monday, August 30, 2004

On Style



As far as my own style: I bought a couple of photographs of tidepools from a Canadian photographer, and framed them. Hung them in the living room. To me, they looked real nice. My wife--who loves the ocean--was not too excited. I said, "What, you don't like them?" She replied, "They're OK, but I prefer your style." My style... My style! The idea excited me, because nobody had ever said I had a "style" before. But it also scared me. I'm not trying to do anything a certain way, I'm just doing. If it's coming out a certain way, if there's some consistency to my work, that's great. But I'm worried that if I think too much about what I'm doing, I'll stop doing it. That's a theme I'd like to expand upon in future posts--the importance of unplugging the brain, of NOT thinking.

[ photograph above: Scotty's Castle, Death Valley, 2003 ]