Sunday, August 01, 2004

Why Do I Photograph?

Welcome to My Blog!



A good place to start is probably with this question:

Why Do I Photograph?

A simple question with a very complex answer--an answer I'll probably never know. Maybe it's because I like looking at things differently. I suppose that's a theme in my life. By way of example: I stop on the side of the road, at the "scenic viewpoint" turnout where all the Winnebagos are parked. All the tourists are there, taking slight variations of the same picture of the fabulous vista, the one we've all seen on countless postcards. I'm the guy over in the corner taking a photograph of the flies on the garbage overflowing from the trash can, because the black flies on the white paper gives the image great contrast and an interesting texture...

[ photograph above: Scotty's Castle, Death Valley, 2003 ]